Friday, October 17, 2014

Black Manicure and Accent Nail in Red with Black Starburst Pattern

Two posts so close together will probably not be a regular thing, so enjoy it while it lasts, LOL. I decided to do something a little different tonight. Previously when I have done water marble I have done every nail. But this time I went with marbling on one accent nail on each hand only. You could make any finger you choose the accent. I decided to go with the middle finger on both hands.

I used two coats of the red polish as my base coat on the two accent nails. The red is Sally Hansen's Xtreme Wear #175 - Pucker Up; the black is NYC's Long Wearing Enamel #119 - Black Lace Creme; and the base coat is NutraNail's Strengthener with Green Tea Antioxidants. I will note here that although I am currently using the base coat as a top coat as well, I would NOT recommend it. Even if the polish has been left to dry first, the colors still tend to bleed and blur when you apply the clear polish. The only reason I am still using it is because I haven't made it to the store to buy a proper top coat.
Anyway, I applied a single coat of base coat and then painted all my nails except the middle fingers with 2 coats of black polish. Then I used 2 coats of the red on the remaining nails. Then I used the water marble to do the starburst design over the red polish. I will admit that they didn't turn out exactly as I had planned. The test one was perfect. But alas, when I went to do the application, things got a little more complicated. Eventually, I went with what I had just because I was wasting polish by trying over and over to get exactly what I originally wanted. If you do a lot of water marbling, you will know that you almost never get exactly what you want or plan, so it really what it comes down to is how happy you are with the overall effect. 


 Overall, I would say that I am about 85% happy with how they turned out. Another good thing about just using an accent nail is that you can potentially extend the life of your manicure. In a few days to a week, just change the accent nail, either just the design or the colors and you have a completely different effect!

I apologize for the 'not-so-great' quality of the video, but someone was sleeping in the same room so it was mostly dark and I was trying to be quiet. Next time I will post something about my knitting. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment